Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: 9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    It was. According to my records I bought the last pair in '84, and while I don't recall for sure, I can't imagine me accepting them with the -8C. I apparently swapped the 902s for refurbed 808s/alum. diaphragms though.

    Still, even though sledchick's are 9849As, which were loaded with -8Bs, best to match whatever the others have since we don't know their history.

    GM

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting. Just for grins I did an Ebay search.I came up with a single "A" model just like I remember, 414-8c and 902. Almost certainly it has had driver work.

    A pair of "D" models had 414 8c and Alnico tops.

    A pair of "B" models unfortunately the listing was too old and photos gone.

    The only 414 I could find for sale currently is here....

    http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php

    If the OP wants it just click that link.

    Barring that,if I see any I'll post.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Yeah, the moral of the story is that at this late date combined with Altec's known lack of consistancy after the '60s is to assume nothing.

    GM

  4. #14
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Bill Hanuschak has NEW 416-8C's available right now - he's building them: they're not NOS.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    Bill Hanuschak has NEW 416-8C's available right now - he's building them: they're not NOS.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good to know. Keep us up to date on Bill'd progress. Won't help this poster, but there are people I know who it will help.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member nairam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi guys. You have been talking to my hubby for the last few hours. He just fell off the lawn mower. Hes a really big guy too.Can you imagine? He can build a snowmobile,build a stereo system,do all the sound for me when I play in a band,...but he cant mow the lawn. Anyway, hes laying on the floor in the living room,moaning,. He will get back to you.Meanwhile I appreciate your help in getting these altecs running so I can justify the space they aretaking up in my music room....PS . Imsupposed to give you these numbers,,,9849-A studio moniters[grey]. L.F.414-8B... serial?7367...Horn 1 23743 or 2 23746 [823] Magnet assembly and diaphram 391448...Thanks

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Wish him well. There is a driver at the link a couple posts above- asking price is $150 US. I would offer a little less since it has a ding in the dome, which can be replaced. Or lived with.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member nairam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks guys for all the interest. tonnight iwill pull out the bass driver and get some real numbers you guys keep chatting sometimes i learn as much between the lines as on. like that 90x40horn but what a work of art that motor on the end is. I;d swear J.B.L. stole that diaphragmt to make my 4430,s it sure looked familiar only a decade or so sooner gotta go bye

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    Will the 416-8C surpass and replace the Tad TL-1603 in Recording Studios? Manny think the 2231 reconed 2235 sounds better.

    The Tl-1602 is the closest thing to a 416-8B.
    THe 416-8B being the best followed by 416-8C.
    A new era is beginning for Altec.

    This is definetly good News.

    ..............................................

  10. #20
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently picked up this pair of 9849-8Ds.
    Don't know if this helps but here is what is inside if anyone cares to ID the components.
    I am certain they are completely original and untouched. They also sound quite nice and have that true Altec warmth.

    4

    5

    6

    Think these are a 1975 Vintage but not sure.
    Gary

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.